The CUBE Litening C:68 SL is so fast - even on the climbs - that it'll make your eyes water. No word of a lie. This ultralight and super stiff race machine will appeal to speed freaks, adarenaline junkies and died-in-the-wool racers alike. As near as CUBE can get to a pro level race machine, the CUBE design team cut no corners in their quest to maximise performance. The frame comes perilously close to breaking the magic 850 gramme barrier, while their choice of the finest components - including Shimano's superb Dura Ace groupset, a tubeless-ready Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset and Newmen carbon cockpit components - means there's practically no room for future upgrades. Which means the only thing left for you to do... is to ride.
At CUBE they understand that there's no room for compromise if you want to be the best. For the Litening C:68 SL frame CUBE set out to achieve exceptionally low weight with the latest C:68 carbon technology, optimised frame tube shapes and CUBE's Advanced Twin Mould production process. But CUBE didn't stop there, because CUBE also wanted to improve both comfort and efficiency. The stretched geometry creates an incredibly efficient riding position for rapid forward progress, but keeps the handling agile. And the Litening C:68 fork combines the best possible comfort with incredible steering precision and very low weight.
- C:68 Carbon Fiber Technology - CUBE’s highly innovative new C:68 carbon fibre technology allows us to build better bikes than ever. Typically, carbon fibre frames are around 60% carbon fibre, with the rest being the resin that bonds the fibres together. By distributing carbon fibres evenly, CUBE can make thinner layers within the frame and reduce the amount of resin. Those fibres are a mixture of Ultra High Modulus, High Modulus Spread Tow and Intermediate Modulus carbon, each chosen for the needs of the particular area of the frame. Nanoparticles within the resin itself allows it to be distributed more evenly when under pressure in the frame mould. The result is a range of frames with 68% carbon fibre – lower weight, higher stiffness, more fun.
- Advanced Twin Mold - The Advanced Twin Mold process eliminates any dangerous folding by continuous control of carbon fibers during the curing process. This is made possible by an internal form which provides the perfect frame form during the layup process. Each individual fibre remains precisely in position as it cures. In this way less material can be used as the individual layers can be more accurately and reliably positioned. This production method also makes it possible to increase the carbon fibre proportion in line with anticipated loadings at specific points on the frame.
- Frame Safe System - To protect CUBE's high-end aluminium frames from damage, they are built with the CUBE Frame Save System replaceable derailleur hanger. The mounting thread is in the hanger and not in the frame as usual. In case of a crash, this hanger can be easily and quickly replaced by a new one.
- Integrated Cable Routing - Internally routed cables offer many advantages. Cables are protected from dirt for longer life, weight is saved thanks to the absence of external housing and the bike has a clean, sleek appearance.
- Press Fit BB - With Press Fit bearings, the bottom bracket bearings are pressed directly into the frame and not screwed in as usual. This gives a wider bottom bracket shell and allows us to build a wider down tube and more broadly-spaced chainstays. Every millimetre of additional width gives a significant improvement in lateral stiffness.
- Tapered Steerer - This steerer tube design is stiffer than a conventional straight steerer and yields a more secure ride feel even in difficult terrain. Minimal flex at the front of the frame means the greatest possible steering precision. With the larger steerer, the forks become more rigid. At the same time weight is saved due to the absence of bearing shells as the lower bearing is fully integrated into the head tube. On all of CUBE carbon models the upper bearing shells are also directly in the frame, so that once more a few grams are saved and the energy transfer is very direct.
- Wet Paint Surface - On polished, brushed aluminum and all HPC frames, the logos and graphics are applied in multi-layer wet paint. Cube use this surface treatment technology mainly to save weight.