The Assault SLG Clincher has long been one of the best selling wheels in the Reynolds line, and it just keeps getting better. It now sports a modern 25 mm wide rim profile to provide lower rolling resistance and a smoother ride. It is both lighter and stiffer than its predecessors and also offers the added benefit of a 41 mm depth with Reynolds Enhanced SLG technology to give you every aero advantage. The proprietary CTg braking system
improves stopping performance measurably and minimizes weight. Reynolds straight pull hubs allow for a smooth running and DT Swiss Aero Comp Spokes
increase stability. These beauties are suitable for training and competition.
Technologies of the Reynolds Assault SLG Carbon wheelset:
- This Performance Rim 3 Design identifies three unique areas of the rim and assigns a specific carbon fiber and epoxy formula to each.
- Hybrid Modulus Laminate. It is a precise method of assigning different carbon fiber and lay-ups to each region of the rim.
- Variable Resin Chemistry. It is the application of a specific chemical formula of resin, optimally corresponding to different laminates within the rim.
- Inert Gas Compaction. It is the use of inert gas compound to mold and cure rims. IGC ensures a more durable rim, born from ideal manufacturing conditions.
- Cryogenic Glass Transition. It refers to a patented braking system developed by Reynolds. The system is comprised of two components: Reynolds' proprietary Cryo-Blue urethane polymer brake pads and hybrid carbon-fiber-and-resin laminates in the brake track. The integrated CTg system effectively minimizes heat build-up from pad-to-rim friction and dissapates heat away from the brake track providing smoother, more predictable braking that delivers the best possible stopping performance.
With CTg, braking temperatures are 100 F (38° C) cooler than with other technologies.
- Brake Wear Indicator. It is a 10 mm wide red line that Reynolds embeds into the brake track. The indicator, centered over the valve hole on both sides of the rim, becomes visible when excessive wear has occurred to indicate that the wheel needs replacing. Reynolds is the only carbon wheel to offer this feature, and a patent is pending for its design.
Enhanced SLG (Swirl Lip Generator®)
The original Swirl Lip Generator® (SLG) is a 0.9 mm "lip" strategically placed on the sidewall of the rim near the spoke face. First introduced and wind tunnel tested on the RZR® 46 and RZR® 46 Team. A2 Wind Tunnel testing demonstrated that the Swirl Lip Generator® reduces drag so effectively, that the time savings over a distance of 40 km is 12.5 seconds. SLG effectively helps turbulent air passing over the wheel to re-attach to the spoke face after flowing over the spinning rim. It also decreases the side force acting on the rim, which smooths turbulence and reduces drag. At yaw angle of 10º, SLG drag reduction is validated to be 20 % (A2 Wind Tunnel Tests, 02/2011) Reynolds has since introduced its Enhanced SLG (Swirl Lip Generator®) with a lip that is 8x larger than the original SLG. CFD analysis demonstrates a 35 % aerodynamic performance improvement for the Assault SLG and Strike SLG over the previous Assault and Strike models. The performance improvement is a result of rim-shape optimization which includes Enhanced SLG.
You can also get the RAP
warranty for this wheelset which stands for "Reynolds Assurance Program". Further informations: RAP