The GC 49 is the latest addition to the legendary GC line and it's the biggest yet. The GC 49 cassette extender cog allow you to modify your 11 speed 11-42T cassette from SRAM or SunRace to create an ultra-wide range 11T-49T cassette. This includes 18T cassette cog for optimal gearing in the smaller cogs.
You might ask why 49t rather than 50t, and the answer is simple:
It allows to nearly double the number of shift gates from 4 on a 50t to 7 on a 49t ... so you get much faster shifting. With cogs this big this is critical as you can be waiting nearly a half revolution of the crankset before you will see a shift with only 4 shift gates. SRAM 11 speed rear derailleurs can only handle 49t as a max cog size. The 49t is only 2% different than a 50t, which is so small it won't be noticed.
Wolf Tooth 49T GC Cog Compatibility:
Compatible only with SRAM 11 speed NX cassettes (SRAM PG-1130) and SunRace 11 speed, 11-42 range, cassettes. NOT compatible with any SRAM cassettes using the XD driver (10 tooth small cog).
Compatible with all 11 speed chains. Note that you likely need a longer chain than you currently have your bike. Chain length is critical with the 49T and must be set according to the instructions on the GC tech page. Chain wear should be less than .5 when installing a new GC or chainring.
Compatible with all SRAM 11 speed rear mountain derailleurs (NX, GX, X1, X01, XX1). Also Compatible with Shimano 11 speed mountain derailleurs when using the Wolf Cage modification.
Caution: always check full suspension travel with the chain on the GC 49. Bleed air from rear shock and fully compress the rear suspension to check. Derailleur cage must not bottom out in forward rotation.
Wolf Tooth 49T GC Cog Tech Specs:
- 18t cassette cog is included with the GC49. Remove the 17 and 19t cogs and replace them with the 18t.
- Installation instructions on the Wolf Tooth GC tech page.
- These are specifically designed for use with SRAM cassettes. The clocking, or rotational orientation, between SRAM and Shimano cassettes is much different so optimal shifting cannot be achieved unless the design is optimized for each separately.
- Design and manufactured in Minneapolis, MN USA
- Material 7075-T6
- Weight: 110g -GC49 and 22g - 18t cog